Please feel free to contact me if there is no instruction below that fits the task you need help with. I can always add to this section with new items as you find them 🙂
Quick Reference Guide
Sidebars / Widgets:
- To know which sidebar to edit for any given page, go to the page in admin, scroll all the way to bottom of page to page options, look at which sidebar is chosen for that page. That is the name of the sidebar you need to edit.
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Choose the name of the sidebar on the right-hand side of the page
- Click the arrow to open up the sidebar
- Click the arrow next to the widget inside that sidebar to edit that widget within the sidebar
- Please view the video on page editing before editing any of your pages. This new version of WordPress and this particular theme includes a brand new page builder that you must familiarize yourself with before using for the first time. Trust me on this one 🙂
- Most of the pages use the new page builder, not the default editor. If you open a page in admin to edit it, and the content appears to be in separate ‘boxes’ instead of in the single text area like the old version, make sure you roll over the top right edge of the box to click the pencil icon (NOT the X) to edit that content. If you click the X over the edge of that box, you will completely delete that content on the page so be careful.
- The best way to really learn this page builder is to create a test page, play around with it and add lots of different elements to see how it works without having to mess around with a live page.
- Login to Admin and Click Posts (the posts work very similar to how they used to- no change here)
- Click Add New
- Click very bottom of page next to the comments box to turn comments OFF- uncheck the box to disallow people to post comments.
PDF Forms & Documents
To add a pdf document, then add a link TO that pdf document is a two step process.
- Go to Media > Add New
- Upload the pdf document
- Click the edit link after it’s done uploading
- On the right side of the page is a space for File URL – highlight that entire file url and copy it (ctrl + C on a pc computer)
- Then, go to the page or place where the link TO that pdf document will be
- Highlight the text you want to link to, ie; click here to download pdf, after highlighting the text or choosing the image you want to link, click the chain link above in editing tools, paste that url into the link area.
- NOTE: I always choose open in new window when it’s a PDF as most people click the ‘x’ to close a pdf after reading then they will lose your site if it’s not open in another window.
Editing a Page
Editing Home Page Slide Show
NOTES: Must use images that are 500 pixels high by 1500 (minimum) to 2500 (maximum) wide. DPI can